Sunday, May 07, 2006

Panama Skiff

We arrived in Panama just in time that I could buy a few sheets of marine 1/4' plywood before the Panama Canal Company went out of business. No trailers or launch ramps available, shallow coral reefs off all the beaches, but beautiful deserted coves to visit with (by now) an entire family. So I designed a little yellow skiff, 4' (40" waterline beam) by 15 1/2 ', with a daggerboard, rudder and sprit sail. I was able to get Sailrite sail cloth and WEST epoxy through the mail. Again, I calculated the length of the chine, sheer, and sheathing panels and all offsets so that the parts went together smoothly without having to use a strongback. The only drawings I used were just sketches for visualization. I had estimated the hull rocker correctly in design, so the boat performed nicely. We went picnicking, snorkeling, fishing and just exploring. It was light enough that we could cartop the boat on our Toyota wagon to bays along the Atlantic coast.

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just came across your blog, and I have to say, your Panama skiff is one sweet looking boat. I was looking to build a Bolger Surf but the lines of your skiff are just gorgeous. Well done !

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just came across your blog, and I have to say, your Panama skiff is one sweet looking boat. I was looking to build a Bolger Surf but the lines of your skiff are just gorgeous. Well done !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home